Monday, May 23, 2011

a lost soul

a The Rabbi’s Cat by Joann Sfar.

           What an interesting tale indeed. A sarcastic raunchy cat and did i mention ugly? I want to speak a little about the cover of the book. When i first   glanced at the image of the book... it seemed like such an innocent little book perhaps something children in grade school might read. However, it wasn't till i got to the raunchy part where i went "whoa, did not see that coming”. How misleading of the cover? This kitty annoyed me in the beginning and i honestly thought this was going to be such a drag to read. But i couldn’t find myself putting this book down, it was so interesting. The pictures, the lessons learned by the rabbi from the cat.
      First and foremost i just want to give a shout out to the kitty for giving up his voice in honor of the rabbi being able to pass the French test. In other words the little kitty made a trade off with God (of whom the kitty did not believe in at first) saying that you can take away my most precious gift (the ability to talk as a cat) just so his rabbi could pass the test. And then on the other hand we have the rabbi taking a test in French just so he can continue being the rabbi in his own little town in Algeria. Why does the Jewish Hebrew speaking rabbi need to take a test in French to prove that he’s capable to be a rabbi!? I mean as far as i learned Hebrew is the language/context for Judaism. Pathetic of how things were not considered well enough unless it was the French way or French approved.
     And the best lesson out of this, questioning of ones faith. Without questioning anything a person is never going to be able to grow and become stronger from the experience.  The ability to questions ones faith allows them to have a greater understanding of their own religion, it allows them to learn and think deeper and understand something fully. I can easily connect myself with this because with in the past year i went through a huge religious phase. I started to question my own faith. I started out with the journey of really wondering the importance of covering my hair. I started doing my own research to find my answer and i kept at it till i found a complete answer to satisfy myself. By finally understanding the answer to my question i was able to progress and grow within my own religion. I then decided i had the answer to why i should cover my hair and it was from then i started to do so. Perhaps if it was not from that question i never would have been able to have the opportunity to progress.
        I love how the kitty was able to question the Rabi and the Rabbis Rabbi about religion. Although i was super disappointed in the behavior of the rabbi, for example when the rabbi decided to eat everything against his religion and in the end simply saying that “see I’m still alive" kind of attitude irritated me. Or when he first said to God to forgive him for what he was about to do and that he would start back tomorrow by being a good Rabbi. To my understanding of religion.. You cant just quit when you want to indulge in something that your religion prohibits you from. What’s the point of religion then?! In my opinion religion teaches one self control. It was sad to see the rabbi’s attitude change, it was sad to see the rabbi forget who he was and what he once believed in. I agree completely that one should always question their religion and do research about it in order for them to become stronger in their faith. But we can’t just quit and pick back up as soon as we want to do something that’s forbidden. Maybe this experience helped the rabbi loosen up a bit. But if that’s the attitude and point  then religion slowly by slowly will start to change and lose its original meaning.
    Good book indeed

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the ending causes one to think a great deal about the Rabbi's journey both in terms of coming to an understanding of his faith, as well as he journey to France and back to Algeria. As you say, this is far from being a children's book because it deals with very complicated ideas.

    ReplyDelete